Further evidence -16 publications – supporting use of TARGIT IORT using Intrabeam in routine clinica
In the last 18 months further evidence has emerged supporting the use of TARGIT IORT for breast cancer.
The Full Report of the TARGIT-A trial was published in the HTA Journals in September 2016. This contains several additional analyses including a) subgroup analysis as per tumour and patient characteristics b) formal health economic analysis c) analysis of the earliest cohort of patients with a median follow up of 5 years had the same results as the main trial, viz. – that TARGIT and EBRT had similar breast cancer control and non-breast-cancer deaths were fewer with TARGIT.
HTA Journals 18 June 2016
Full report of TARGIT-A trial comparing Intrabeam TARGIT IORT vs traditional radiotherapy over several weeks for early breast cancer An international randomised controlled trial to compare TARGeted Intraoperative radioTherapy (TARGIT) with conventional postoperative radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery for women with early-stage breast cancer (the TARGIT-A trial). Vaidya JS, Wenz F, Bulsara M, Tobias JS, Joseph DJ, Saunders C, Brew-Graves C, Potyka I, Morris S, Vaidya HJ, Williams NR, Baum M. Health Technology Assessment 2016;20(73) — PDF download —
The publications from 2015-16, after the main results of the TARGIT-A trial were published as well as the initial publications (listed at the end of file)
are available in the file:
To read, right-click this Download link to the pdf file, and save the file on your computer. Then open using Acrobat Reader. If you cannot see the Bookmarks pane, click on View profile, then show/hide – navigation panes and then click on Bookmarks. Now you should see all the 16 bookmarks and navigate through the 16 papers.
To read the list of 66 selected initial original publications please see Publications-between-1995-2014-about-the-TARGIT-IORT-Technique-and-the-TARGIT-trials.pdf The front page of this website has links to the full text PDFs of important publications http://www.targit.org.uk
The list is also shown below:
Further evidence supporting adoption TARGIT IORT in routine clinical practice: 16 publications in major journals the last 18 months from USA, Europe and Australia
2. Breast Surg Mar-Apr 2015 Intraoperative radiotherapy of the breast for early-stage breast cancer: ready for primetime
3. Br J Surgery May 2015 Intraoperative radiotherapy in early breast cancer
4. Ecancermedicalscience Mar 2015 Is IORT ready for roll-out? [Yes]
Red Journal Aug 2015- Editorial by the Red Journal “…..Many careers have been built around fractionated radiation therapy for breast cancer, and it comprises a substantial proportion of the practice of the average contemporary radiation oncologist. Depending on your perspective, intraoperative radiation therapy is thus either a very serious threat or a quantum leap forward.”
6. Breast Care 15 July 2015 Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation in Clinical Practice
8. Chapter in “Short Course Breast Radiotherapy” 1 Jan 2016 A Risk-Adapted Approach to Breast Radiation Using Targeted Intraoperative Radiotherapy (TARGIT)
9. Oncogene 15 Feb 2016 Radiotherapy-induced miR-223 prevents relapse of breast cancer by targeting the EGF pathway.
11. Lancet 23 April 2016 A meta-analysis of GEC-ESTRO + TARGIT-A trials show Partial Breast Irradiation (PBI) has similar breast cancer control as Whole Breast Irradiation (WBI), and fewer deaths from other causes.
12. Red Journal 30 April 2016 Better Quality of Life with TARGIT
13. Lancet 7 May 2016: Intraoperative radiation therapy for breast cancer: a patient’s view
14. Annals of Surgical Oncology 9 May 2016 TARGIT-R (Retrospective): North American Experience [of nearly 1000 patients] with Intraoperative Radiation Using Low-Kilovoltage X-Rays [Intrabeam] for Breast Cancer
15. BMJ Open 10 May 2016 TARGIT IORT radiotherapy during lumpectomy for breast cancer could save millions of travel miles & tonnes of CO2. …plus free up thousands of hours for women with early stage breast cancer, every year. Video Abstract Full paper Press release by the BMJ
16. Red Journal 13 May 2016 Mortality reduction with Partial Breast Irradiation: A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials
An estimated 20,000 patients have already been treated with Intrabeam TARGIT IORT Worldwide Adoption of Intrabeam TARGIT IORT